The President Is Not Jesus Christ

I’m going to be honest. I don’t really understand Republicans. I can’t wrap my brain around the logic or the way they interpret facts. I am SO glad that this election is over for many reasons. One of them being that I don’t have to endure the endless political rants and raves on Facebook. I made the mistake of thinking they would be over today given that the decision has been made, but oh no- debate is still running thick.

I have been astounded by the Republican posts regarding Obama’s win. Nearly every single one that I’ve seen reads the same way. They express their disappointment over Romney losing the election and then go on to proclaim that the real leader in their life is Jesus Christ. I can’t tell you the number of times that I’ve read “So disappointed by this, but Jesus is my Lord.” Some have even gone on to call Obama the Anti-christ. Literally. Not figuratively.

I’m so confused by this for two reasons:

I voted for Obama, but he is not my Lord. If the results had gone in your favor and Romney had been the victor, would he have been your Lord? Putting the president in any sort of leadership position that is equal to a religious deity is…well…pretty ridiculous (I want to find a nice way to say that, but there’s not). We didn’t have an election where we voted for who would assume the role of God in the United States. We had a political election about who would be the political figurehead in this country.

My biggest piece of confusion is this: Mitt Romney is a Mormon. He doesn’t even share your faith.  In fact, the Mormon belief system is diametrically opposed to the fundamental principles of the Christian faith. If your faith guides you so strongly as it clearly does given your declarations of faith than why would you vote for someone who rejects your faith? Wouldn’t you vote for someone who supports it?

I just don’t get it. Can anyone explain this?

This entry was posted in Life As I Know It and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to The President Is Not Jesus Christ

1. Kortney says:

Haha I have no real answer. I voted republican but to be honest i’m not disappointed with the outcome. I know that whomever the president is they are doing what they think is best even if we don’t agree on everything. I don’t understand how so many people expect one person to change the world. It is just not going to happen. It requires team work to get the job done. Though I did see many people say exactly what you pointed out.

2. Jane says:

Jesus is my Lord. I voted for Romney, for purely fiscal reasons, even though I was uncomfortable with him being Mormon. I like healthcare reform and Having a Choice, if you know what I mean. (I loathe pro-life rhetoric.) Romney would NOT have been my Lord!

And Obama winning? I just shrugged. I’m ok with it. In some ways I’m relieved. The funny thing is that Obama’s kind of a moderate. Closer to the Republicans of days gone by than he is to radical Democrats. But the GOP has leaned so far to the extreme right that they can’t see it.

I think when people say “Jesus is my Lord,” what they mean is that no matter what, God is in control, and it will all work out, one way or the other.

In Jesus’s words: John 14:6 “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” But what does that mean? What does Jesus stand for? Love. Compassion. Forgiveness. Who’s to say that you’re not following Jesus’s precepts without ever even knowing His name? I think it’s arrogant for us to make assumptions and judgments about the path to redemption.

Thanks, Jane. I really appreciate you sharing your thoughts on it. I really genuinely wanted to know. I love your line: “who’s to say that you’re not following Jesus’s precepts without ever even knowing his name.” Great point.

3. Here’s a decent article on why most Christians would vote for Romney vs. Obama:

Now, if you get mad at that article, please don’t shoot the messenger. :)

And I’m glad that the election is over for the politcal rants on Facebook from BOTH sides. If you won’t talk about politics in front of me in real life, then why would you blast your opinion, often judgmental and condescending, all over Facebook? Both sides just annoyed me. Show me cute pictures of your kids and pets, please!

Thanks, Katy. I’m gonna check it out. I promise not to shoot the messenger:)

• Ali says:

Katy,
      The “arguments” in the article made my head hurt. What twisted logic! Not to mention they are only picking parts of the Bible to defend rather than the Book in its entirety –there are over 3000 references to helping the poor, and only 3 regarding homosexuality. So which do they concentrate on? Erg!

• I go to a Presbyterian church where we are equally divided between Republicans and Democrats. The right focus on pro-life and a strong foreign policy like that towards Israel, for instance, while the left focus on feeding the poor i.e. through social programs. (These are just small, small examples). So you can go either way, for sure. Doesn’t mean Jesus is displeased with either side or favors one over the other.

4. Karen says:

Since you pretty much called out my exact status update after the election, I wanted to respond to this. ;) “Putting the president in any sort of leadership position that is equal to a religious deity is..well…pretty ridiculous.” I couldn’t agree with you more. I think you are misinterpreting what (at least most, I can’t speak for everyone) Christians are saying about the outcome of this election.

Speaking for myself, I was saying that while the man I voted for didn’t win, it doesn’t really matter, because God is ultimately in control, and apparently He has chosen Obama to be the leader in this county for one reason or another, and I will respect that and teach my kids to respect him as the leader of our country, even if he isn’t who I voted for personally. I was saying that I am thankful I get to have a voice in who is the leader of this country even if my “side” didn’t win. I was saying that Jesus Christ is my Lord, and that would have still held true whether Obama or Romney won. We would have continued to pray for wisdom for our President regardless of who he was.

Am I disappointed that Romney lost? Absolutely. But not because I view him as a Deity, but because I believe he would have been the better person to get our country on a path to lessen our debt, rebuild our economy, and made decisions that are more in line with my beliefs. As for him being Mormon, no, that does not line up with my Christian beliefs, but again, what he does believe is “more in line” with what I believe, compared to Obama, on the big issues. Was he the perfect candidate? Absolutely not. But he was the man I chose over Obama. He didn’t win, and that’s not the end of the world, but as the “losing” party, I think we are entitled to voice our disappointment, and we are certainly entitled to remind our friends and family that we hold a higher power over our lives than just the leader of this country.

• Rhonda Bagley says:

Very well said.

Thanks, Karen. I actually didn’t see your status update until I went and looked just now:) The updates were so similar. Yancy and I were also following it on twitter and if you look at the tweets it was all, “Jesus is Lord.” I just found it baffling and really didn’t understand it. You are the first Christian person I know who has said that they will respect the decision and teach their children to respect the president. Thank you for that. And I definitely appreciate your insight into praying about the President no matter who he was. I can’t help but wonder though if the same proclamations about Jesus would have been heard if Romney came out on top.

I’ve really appreciated the responses I’ve gotten thus far. Most have said exactly what you have said in that although they disagree with Romney’s faith, they agree with his beliefs about finances, taxes, and the economy. Hence, their vote. Here is where I think it then gets a bit hypocritical. Most Christians profess that their relationship with Christ is the most important relationship in their life and the most important factor in any decision. However, this doesn’t seem to be the case. Here’s why: If the religious convictions about Christ’s importance as being central are quickly overturned in the favor of the desire for more financial freedom, lower taxes, and less debt than the religious convictions are not nearly as strong as professed to be. Up until this election, all I have ever heard from Christians regarding the Mormon faith is that it is an abomination, a direct contradiction to Christian faiths and beliefs and yet they still voted for Romney. To people on the outside, it looks like money is more powerful than Jesus.

• Karen says:

I can definitely understand how that would seem confusing or hypocritical. My brother actually refused to vote because he was unhappy with both parties, especially Romney’s religious background. But, I think most Christians understand that we need to exercise our right and opportunity to vote for “the best man possible”, even if the best man is not even close to “the right man”. Many compared it to the lesser of two “evils” (Please don’t take that phrase literally, I don’t mean to call either guy evil).

For me, and I think I can speak for a lot of other Christians, I know that being a Christian is not popular, being pro-life is not popular, and many of the beliefs I hold as a follower of Christ are extremely unpopular among Americans today. To have a presidential candidate get as far as the final election holding the same beliefs as Christ would be a miracle at the very least. We know that we are going to have to settle in many areas with “our” candidate, because it is so extremely unpopular to be a Bible believing Christian. I have been called “an uneducated, backwards hillbilly” for my beliefs, can you imagine a presidential candidate publicly proclaiming them? He would be laughed off the stage and never get far enough to become an actual candidate. My point is this, I believe it is my duty as an American to exercise my right to vote for the person I think would lead this country the best. As an intelligent human being, I understand that the “best” candidate will not line up with some or many of my views, so I may have to choose which views are most important to me. Yes, the economy is big, but it is not the most important thing to me. Life before birth is extremely important to me, views on marriage are extremely important to me, healthcare is extremely important to me seeing as I have a chronic health condition and work in a hospital. Obama and I fundamentally disagree on those topics, so I could not in good conscience vote for him.

On those points I don’t mean to debate anything, I’m only trying to explain my reasoning in voting for Romney over Obama.

On that note, I have seen a lot of Christians become overly upset and disrespectful in what they are saying about the outcome. It isn’t right, but Christians aren’t perfect either. We screw up when we’re disappointed and upset, just like everyone else. We say things we will later regret.

If Romney had won, you would have seen a lot of “Praise God!” status updates most likely, because that’s who most Christians voted for. We would have continued to pray for our president, at least I would have. I told my kids I was sad Obama had been given another chance because I didn’t think he did a very good job the first time, but he was now the president and God commands us to pray for our leaders, no matter who they are.

I hope that helps explain our stance a little bit. :)

• Violina23 says:

See, I don’t think it is necessarily hypocritical to be guided by religious principles and still be in favor of “more financial freedom, lower taxes, and less debt”. These things are important to getting people back on their feet and in a position to help themselves and improve their situations. And the more people in this world who have the opportunity to lift themselves out of poverty, work up a ladder, attain the kind of success and wealth that comes with it — the more people are able and willing to help those who are truly helpless and in need of a community (or yes, even a government) to survive.

Romney is a politician, as is Obama, but I think his personal actions & even his business ones were geared towards this line of thinking. Maybe it doesn’t seem as charitable as, say, promising people “free” healthcare, but getting people in a position to be able to AFFORD these things, while at the same time producing wealth (and yes, tax revenue!) that drives the rest of what our government’s job is.

5. Masala Chica says:

I have seen a lot of that. People commiserating with each other saying things like “God help us now,” and people responding with, “Well, God is all we have now, so let’s pray.”

Are these people effing serious? I lived with George W. Bush as my president for 8 years and God did not get me through those administrations. I went about my life, bitched a lot, but I knew that I would have a chance to raise my voice again.

6. Jennifer says:

I’m confused, too. The biggest thing that I hear is the upset over Obama’s pro-choice stance, however, Romney expressed both pro-life and pro-choice stances so for those who feel compelled that he would have would have repealed Roe v Wade, they clearly haven’t been paying attention and they have no awareness how these things work — they also tend to spout fake facts like “Obama is the most statistically pro-choice President” or “Obama is trying to have gender-selection abortions approved.” Ridiculous.

• Violina23 says:

See, I think people were giving the president (whoever it would be) WAY too much credit in terms of dictating social policies. Romney would NOT have had the power to overturn Roe v. Wade, and Gay Marriage is, at the current time, a state issue, and so Romney was not going to be able to outlaw it, even assuming he wanted to. So that is part of why I felt at ease with my vote for Romney, even though I don’t agree with his personal positions (or that of the Republican party as a while) on those issues.

And, FTR, the outcomes of the votes on marriage equality at least gave me something to smile about, even though I’m VERY concerned about our country’s fiscal future :)

Life’s too short to get too worked up over politics. I just pray that some cooperation is in our nation’s future.

7. minicoopsmom says:

Indeed. I was once called “biased” because I took issue with Romney’s religious beliefs. He’s very much involved in the Mormon church and not in a “I was born Mormon but don’t go to my church ” sort of way, but in a I’m in a leadership position and an “I donated MILLIONS to my church” way. That bothers me for two reasons. Once because he’s apparently very much religious (And I don’t have a problem with being religious, per se but I don’t want your religion interfering in my government) and two very much involved in a religion that doesn’t have a lot of respect for either women or minorities. (Not a point I will argue, look it up, their church didn’t even allow minorities till the 80′s…) My point is this, yes I should consider the religion and all the other hobbies, likes and dislikes of the man I am electing. For CERTAIN his personal beliefs will sway his decision making. And if the coin were flipped and a dude who outwardly practiced some thing like, let’s say Satanic worship were running… Tell me we would not consider that belief system when voting for him? Of COURSE we would and SHOULD.

8. Violina23 says:

I’m a social liberal, but a fiscal conservative, and I voted for Romney. And I’m Jewish, so faith had nothing to do with it in the case of either Obama or Romney.

I don’t feel we can afford another 4 years of the economic path we’re on (spending more, borrowing more, bigger government, etc) and as much as I am in favor of things like gay marriage, and I am conditionally pro-choice (but I believe it should be limited to the first trimester unless there are medical issues with mom or baby), I figure these things are not worth the paper they’re written on if people are too poor to afford food, clothing, and shelter.

I think it’s important to remember that fiscal conservatives, like myself, don’t believe what we believe because we are selfish and want those who are less fortunate to suffer. Frankly, it is the lower class who are going to suffer the most from the coming inflation, the costs of goods that go up to pay for Obamacare/regulations, or the full-time jobs lost because companies can’t absorb the cost of Obamacare etc, the increased cost of gas if they get Cap & Trade in, etc. Fiscal conservatives believe that people are best helped when we put them in positions when they can help themselves with as little interference as possible. I’d rather get people JOBS than extended food stamps & unemployment. There is a role for the government to help those truly in need, but when entitlement spending is poised to take over more than half of the GDP, we are headed down the wrong path. There aren’t enough “rich” people in the world to turn that around.

Personally, being split on social/fiscal issues, I get a lot of heat from both sides, but I’ve gotten a lot more nastiness from liberals, in my experience. Calling me selfish, racist, and all sorts of other things for disagreeing with the President. I want things to get better for EVERYBODY, but I feel like I’m looking at the long term picture, the “mean mommy” making sure we can afford all the goodies we are promising ourselves.

• Nicholas says:

RE: Food stamps and extended employment

Google “Wal-Mart and food stamps” f0r a surprise or two. :)