How To Get Your Pre-Pregnancy Body Back: The Secret

Here’s the secret: After pregnancy and childbirth, your body will never be the same again.

I am sorry to be the bearer of such bad news, but it never will be. I wish it wasn’t the case, but it is.

Lucky for me, I had prepared myself for this one beforehand. This change was one I knew was coming. I heard all the hype over and over again about getting your pre-pregnancy body back, but harbored no such delusion. I’m not sure if all women are like me, but I certainly knew as I watched myself grow and expand throughout my pregnancy, that there was not any way I was going to get the body back that I had before pregnancy. I expanded to enormous proportions in ways I didn’t know were possible. Every muscle of mine stretched out. At one point during my pregnancy, I thought I developed a hernia. Every time I sneezed a stabbing pain shot all through my body. It was searing and hot. I ran to my doctor.

“It’s not a hernia.” She pronounced. “Your stomach muscles have just split apart.”

“That can happen?” I asked, incredulously. She nodded, still feeling along my ever widening baby bump. “Will they go back together after the baby is born?” I wanted to know.

“Sometimes. Sometimes not. It all depends.” That was her answer.

The changes kept coming. My bones popped out. My hips felt as if they were being shoved apart in a spiteful game of let’s see how far away we can get from each other.  My barely A cups became perfect C cups. This was the only change I welcomed and of course, it was the quickest to go away. Everything about your body will be different.

It is possible for your body to go back to resembling normal, however, it will never be exactly as it was before at least for those of us who don’t have the option of plastic surgery.  It doesn’t mean you won’t lose the weight. The weight can be lost, but your body has been forever altered. And let’s not forget that it is impossible to get rid of extra skin (unless of course you go under the knife).

I’ve always been an athlete. I’ve ran four marathons since giving birth and I am in fairly decent shape. I get lots of compliments about my body, but they don’t see me naked. And yes, in clothes, I look pretty decent. The truth is that I still have a small pooch (thank you split stomach muscles). I just hide it well. It doesn’t seem to be going anywhere no matter what I do and I have done a lot (okay, not lately because I’ve been too busy eating Rocky Road).

My days of proudly wearing midriff baring shirts are gone, but let’s be real. Should I really be wearing midriff baring shirts at this point? And even if I did, where would I wear them to? The park? Pre-school drop off?

Comparing your pre-pregnancy body to your post-pregnancy body is like comparing a forty year old body to a nineteen year old body.  They are just fundamentally different.  My advice? Just accept it. Accept your post-baby body. It makes it easier. I promise.

This entry was posted in motherhood and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to How To Get Your Pre-Pregnancy Body Back: The Secret

1. Sara says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! I have gotten back to about 5 lbs shy of my pre pregnancy weight but there are still dresses that don’t come close to fitting over my hips anymore! One of the many sacrifices we make for our little ones. He was worth it thou. Hope LOTS of women read this post :)

2. Meagan says:

Nope. Of course, I don’t expect my bones to realign, and I rather like my stretch marks, but I was overweight before getting pregnant, and now I’m clinically obese. I’ve been an athlete for my entire life and I want to go back, but I can’t fit in my uniform. I do not accept that. I will be my pre-pregnancy weight again, and I hope to be UNDER my pre pregnancy weight.

3. Ericha says:

Here’s another shocker- some women’s feet grow during pregnancy because they contain the same muscle type in our pelvic area. Pregnancy hormones make those muscles loosey goosey…..and some never find their way back again! I was plagued with arch pains during pregnancy but thankfully they didn’t grow. My friend however grew 1.5 sizes over 2 pregnancies. I’ve seen wraps on the market that promise to restore hips to your original width…… let’s hope foot binding does not come back in fashion!

Thanks, Ericha. And my feet went up an entire size! I wonder what happens to women that have like 5 kids…Do they end up with clown feet? I’m gonna start checking out feet!

I went into pregnancy knowing my body would never be the same. I figured I wasn’t a bikini wearer before so there was no need to freak out about the stretchmarks–and boy howdy do I have them. My breasts are monstrous now (people promised me they would shrink…I’m still waiting for that one), and I’m about 50 pounds heavier than I should be.

So, like Megan, I’m trying to lose the weight. I accept the stretchmarks (and to some degree the boobs), but the weight has GOT to go. Now if I can just get rid of this bum ankle…

Thanks, Rach. I went into pregnancy the same way as well. Sending positive energy to your ankle:)

5. Kay says:

The only thing that is different for me is that my boobs are floppier than they were before. But that’s genetics – the women in my family all have the same issue after having kids.
    I’ve had a messed up belly since a week old due to emergency surgery. My scar lines are at just above c-section level and next to my belly button (otherwise known as the impossible to hide zone), and I’ve never had ab definition because of it. It’s been a long time challenge to accept the differences that I cannot control. And if I had a dollar for every well meaning in-law, family friend, or stranger, that gave me tips on how to lose my baby belly, I could make a few car payments easily. Despite the fact that those are something I cannot change without cosmetic surgery and I am in far better physical shape than I was pre-baby. The comments drive me batty!

6. Miranda says:

Yeah, too true. My 4 kilo baby broke my tummy muscles in ways I did not know were possible. Small women should not carry large babies! (As if there’s a choice!) My body will never be what it was, but I was hardly a curvatious hottie in the first place so I’m not too devastated. Although, it’s true that I’ll never wear hipster jeans again. On the upside, no stretch marks and my Caesarian scar disappeared within months. But I do have a hole in my stomach muscles I can stick my hand into…. Perhaps I should see someone about that…

7. Carie says:

I have read about a method called mummy tummy. It was developed by a nurse. It is supposed to be abdominal exercises that help to pull together & heal the abdominal muscles after pregnancy. I haven’t tried it myself but it seems promising.

8. Check out the fourth trimester kit on dr awesome Suds on facebook. It has a bunch of great things to get your postpartum Body back to normal