Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease Takes Over the Park

Gus has a park crew that he hangs out with during the week. As we lovingly call it, the “sand park” is only a few blocks from our house. It was one of the reasons we jumped at the opportunity to rent our house. ┬áIt’s a welcome break for both of us. He has his buddies to run around with and I have some of my closest mommy friends to chat with while he does it. I found out on Monday that hand, foot, and mouth disease has struck again.

I have a few things to say about hand, foot, and mouth disease. First and foremost, why does it have this scary name? Why are we calling it a disease? Can we just call it a viral infection? Do we really have to give it this terrible name?

Second, the thing spreads like the Bubonic Plague. You can pass it by coughing and sneezing. You can pass it when you don’t have symptoms. So,if your kid has it or has had it recently what I can’t understand is why you feel the need to bring your child around other kids. Almost a year ago, the same exact thing happened. One of the moms brought her kid to the park and he was sick. Turns out he had it and by the end of the weekend every kid that he’d come in contact with that day had it. Every kid including Gus.

Last year it was a bit different. The mom of the infected kiddo didn’t know he had it. She just thought he was having a cranky toddler morning. But this year one of the nannies brought a child to a play date who had just had it and needless to say, here we are again.

Third, I hate high fevers and a high fever is almost always associated with it. They make me really paranoid. Probably always will. In case you missed it, I talked about Gus’s history of febrile seizures a few months ago. The last time he had it his fever sky rocketed up and stayed there even on Tylenol. Not fun.

So far so good. No high fevers. No blisters. All is well with our world. At least for the moment.

How do you prevent it?

Well, I don’t know about you. As for me, I’m staying the hell away from the sand park for a few weeks.

This entry was posted in Life As I Know It and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease Takes Over the Park

1. Barnmaven says:

I’m pretty sure the only way to avoid it is by keeping your kid wrapped in sterile gauze covered by saran wrap and putting them in an isolation tent.

Aeryn had that crap at least three times as a toddler. Ugh.

Three times! Poor thing. The little girl that first came down with it this week has it all over the inside and the outside of her mouth. Yuck. Yuck, and more yuck!

2. Amber says:

IMy kids have had foot and mouth so many times! I really hate that infection and the misery it causes. ): I think it’s very wise to avoid the park for a while!

Me too! It been really hot for the last few days so I got him a new kiddie pool. It should be a good distraction at least till the end of the week.

3. Diane says:

Couldn’t find your e-mail to send this….can’t wait to hear your response….
    Our boys had it once when they were toddlers…it was way worse than chicken pox.

LOL! I just posted on this! I must have been writing it while you were commenting!

I can’t believe the nanny would bring a child with HFM to the playground!! What was she thinking???

Poor Gus. I’m sorry you all have to deal with this again. :(

We are still good. I think we might make it through it without becoming “infected.” Fingers crossed!

5. Carolina_D says:

That really looks like a plain old canker sore to me. I don’t know for sure, but I would get them periodically when I was young. No other symptoms, just a small, painful mouth ulcer. I’ve never known any kids with ‘hand, foot and mouth’ disease. Maybe it wasn’t that prevalent when my kids were young? Or, when I was young. At any rate, your dentist could tell you quickly if it’s a canker sore or something worse.

Thanks, Carolina. It does seem really prevalent right now, but I’m not sure if its always been that way.

6. Amanda says:

I remember that day and you described it so well. I am sorry it all happened again. I felt so bad about that last year.
    I miss the “gang” very much. Hanging at the sand park was the highlight of our days!