Martha Stewart is Gonna Barf All Over My Week

Can I be honest about something? I’m just going to pretend that I heard an audible yes. I am really not looking forward to this week. As we all know, it’s Mother’s Day on Sunday. This means that the Internet and all media is going to explode with all things Mom. For the entire week, it’s going to look like Martha Stewart threw up everywhere. And in case you haven’t figured it out yet, I’m not really your Martha Steward kind of a gal.

For example, have you ever seen a recipe on my blog? Nope. And I’m gonna venture to say the odds of that happening are very, very slim. I’m just not that great of a cook. I’ve had to learn how to cook since Gus started to need more than my breast milk. I did consider breastfeeding till he was 18 if it meant I could avoid learning my way around the kitchen. But I have learned. However, I haven’t learned enough to provide you with anything that would make anyone go, yum…I wanna try that. My recipes would include things like here’s how to bake a chicken and guess what you can steam vegetables and throw in a few spices.

Also, you haven’t found any crafty pictures of projects Gus and I have done. It’s not that we don’t do art. We do a ton of it. It’s one of Gus’s favorite activities. But writing up the craft activity? Well, it just seems a bit boring to me so I don’t do it. Plus there are so many others that already do it for me so why bother?

Lastly, I don’t spend a bunch of time talking about clothes and where to find them. I don’t even spend that much time thinking about clothes. Don’t get me wrong. I like them. And I wear them. So does my family, but pointing out where others can go to find cute ones, yeah…that’s not me.

What’s my point in all of this?

The media is going to explode in cooking, crafts, and clothes. Not a big deal except a significant part of my life consists of social media and knowing what’s going on. And I fear this is all that will be going on this week. Of course there will be many questions about what to buy mom and what to do for Mother’s Day. These will be sprinkled in there as well.

What will I be doing for Mother’s Day? Last year I went on a woman’s retreat. It was absolutely lovely. I didn’t have to cook, clean, or care for anyone else the entire weekend. It was amazing. My first solo weekend away since I had Gus. It was the perfect Mother’s Day gift for me.

A break. That’s usually what I need the most. How about you?

This entry was posted in motherhood and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Martha Stewart is Gonna Barf All Over My Week

1. On the first women’s retreat I went to after my son was born was I ended up sharing a room with a woman who snored. Thus, I didn’t get to sleep through the night there either.

I figure if I had slept through the night, I would have liked it so much that I’d never return to my mommy world, so God must have known what he was doing.

2. Valerie says:

So funny! When my kids were young, all I really wanted for Mother’s Day was “not to be a mommy for a day.” Now that they’re older – 21,18 & 15 – I can think of nothing more wonderful than being surrounded by them for an entire day :-)

I probably should have mentioned that my son is three and a half. I’m sure in ten years I’ll be begging him to spend time with me!

3. Carolyn says:

I LOVE your blog, especially because there is no “cooking, crafts, and clothes”. I like how your blog is about being a mom and raising a child, and all the thoughts and issue that come from being a mom. I can (and like) to cook, but not enough to read about it! As for craft, the fun is making the craft, not reading about it….. and clothes, I like ones that look nice, but after I put them on (or dress my son), they don’t get an ounce of my attention… Until they get thrown in the washer, or are sitting in a pile waiting to get folded ;-)

I’ve asked for the same thing for the past ten years and I have yet to get it: I want to be daddy for the day. Yup. That’s it. When I think of all Brien does and doesn’t do with regards to the kids and the house and whatnot, I think being the dad for the day would be amazing. Oh, and HE has to be the mom. That means all the cooking, cleaning and taking care of the girls that *I* do without me having to worry about it or remind him.

Ahhhh, a girl can dream, right? ;)

That women’s retreat sounds like it must have been heavenly. I still think a hotel room all to myself without having to share it with anyone would be the best of all. A room. All to myself. No cooking. No cleaning. Going to the bathroom in peace–BY MYSELF with no helpers. No pets. Just me and a book or three. *That* would be lovely.

5. Meagan says:

I could go for a nice long backrub…

6. Barnmaven says:

All I want for mother’s day is my husband home from NC (not gonna happen) and a massage (maybe could happen). You won’t find any recipes, crafts or clothes on my blog either, so you’re in good company. :)

7. I howled with laughter regarding your Mother’s Day gift last year of a week-end retreat! I’ve never chosen to parent because I see the job as too demanding, time consuming and intense for my own wants and needs. At 69, I know I made the right choice for me. I love when I know a Mom who deserves all the accolades she can get. I cry when I read about too many women who had no clue what they were getting into. I admire the raw honesty of those who tell it like it is; who share the real challenges of every day, or every hour, or every minute of mothering well.
    Let’s remember that we can “mother” in many ways. We can mentor, volunteer, plant a garden, save an older dog waiting in a shelter or take care of our own needs with devotion and compassion. Many women do that every day in many fields: teaching, writing, medicine. politics, business or being a committed Aunt or neighbor.
    I’m glad you don’t post any recipes or crafts! Let Martha do that. Keep me thinking, growing and sharing my own believes feeling safe and honored to do that on this blog.

Thanks, Marcia. I always love your comments and your perspective. Thanks for the reminder that we can be a mother in so many different ways.

8. Patty says:

I would love a weekend away. Heck, a couple hours all to myself would suffice. I don’t even want a special dinner made by my husband–because then I would have to watch the kids while he cooked and royally messed up my kitchen!

9. Marisa says:

I would like a sleep vacation. If it isn’t my daughter waking me up it’s my husband. A retreat sounds perfect!

10. Caroline says:

I second (or third?) the vote for a weekend, or even just a night, in a hotel room all by myself. Just to rest and have quiet. Lovely. :D

Caroline