How To Tell If Your Kid is From Los Angeles

Last night I was doing dishes and cleaning up while Gus was outside playing by himself.  Every few minutes called out, “Mommy, will you come play with me when you’re done?”

I had promised him some quality mommy playtime so after I dried the last dish I headed outside to join him.  He had his cars spread out everywhere.  He greeted me with a smile and handed me two cars immediately.

“Okay, mommy, okay mommy, these are your cars. We’re playing cars.” He instructed.

I plopped down next to him. I started pushing my car and racing my car around.

“No, mommy!” He yelled. “That’s not what we’re playing!”

I was confused. “I thought we were playing cars??”

“We are playing parking spot.” He said with attitude.

“Show me how to play that.”

He was more than happy to comply. He grabbed cars and began zooming them around frantically, yelling, “Hurry! Hurry! Find the parking spot! There it is! Get it! Oh no! That’s not a parking spot! It’s red!”

I burst out laughing and joined in on finding a parking spot. Instead of having your traditional car race, we raced our cars around in search of a parking spot. The game was complete with a tow truck.  I have a smart kid. I mean how could we play find a parking spot without a tow truck? After we parked our cars, we promptly towed them.

There’s no question my son has been born and raised in L.A. I’m pretty sure the sight words he recognizes are not “to, the, and, or,” but rather “No Parking” and “2 Hour Parking.” He knows all too well what it’s like to walk to the car after playing at the park and discover your car is no longer there (that one was daddy’s fault). He’s been on a field trip to Hollywood Tow impound lot.  He enjoyed it, but I wouldn’t recommend it as a first choice activity. It’s a bit expensive for a field trip that doesn’t include Mickey Mouse.

According to my babysitter, the last time she watched Gus they decided to play with his kitchen. While he was cooking for his daddy he instructed, “We have to put protein in it.”

Where’s you kid from?

This entry was posted in General Parenting and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to How To Tell If Your Kid is From Los Angeles

1. jody says:

I seem to recall you had trouble parking in Mississippi as well.

There is a slight possibility that I had a hold placed on my financial aid for unpaid parking tickets.

2. Kat says:

Los Angeles LOL. Your comment made me laugh. My daughter and I went to The Grove. Now mind you I am a bit lazy at The Grove and other places where parking drives me crazy and I usually spend enough at those places for Valet. So, my daughter tells me as we pull into the Valet area “Mommy that’s not our normal Valet guy”. Yep, only in Los Angeles.

3. Marisa says:

I live in a small town in the Sierra Nevada Mountains of California. When we play cars there are hills. We go “down the hill and up the hill.”

4. Both my kids could sing “Hail to the Victors” at an early age. :)

• Ellen says:

Go Blue! I knew all the words by the time I was 5, and I had a giant button that played the tune. My parents had a mixed marriage so my mom tried to teach me the Sparty fight song, but it’s not nearly as catchy.

5. One of my Los Angeles-born children recently informed me that his middle name is “HOLLYWOOD”!!!!!(*) I think that counts.

(*)Where we actually did live when he was born, not that he remembers that.

This is just awesome!

I can’t come up with a single example of my kids saying something that could only be from here. Drats. I’m sure they said them, but I can’t remember. :sigh:

7. Heather says:

This is hilarious. I’m the country mouse who married the city mouse. We live in rural Maine now and my husband constantly has to remind me to lock the house and car. (Really, why?) My son has picked up on that, which I suppose is really good, so rest assured we’re all safe here…not thanks to me.