I’m so Green I Eat My Own Placenta

People always ask me why I spend so much time ragging on celebrity moms. I can’t help it. They just provide SO much ridiculous material. If you have a weak stomach, you may want avoid reading this post.

So, if you haven’t heard the story, January Jones has admitted quite proudly that she eats her placenta. Apparently, you can dry it, put it into a pill, and take it just like any other supplement. Who knew? She claims doing so has provided her with lots of energy for taking care of her newborn as well as tons of great vitamins. Her primary reasoning for doing so?

“We are the only mammals who don’t ingest their own placenta.” Yep. That’s what she said.

I must point out a few things, though. First, not all mammals eat their own placenta. This statement isn’t really true. Lots of mammals do, but not all. Second, many mammals do eat their own placenta. However, the primary reason for doing so is to protect themselves and their newborn from predators. As we all know there’s lots of blood when you give birth, especially once the placenta is delivered and other mammals eat it to destroy the evidence. It’s a safety measure. Pretty sure Jones was not in any danger at the time she gave birth or now.

If this is her primary reason for doing so I can’t help but wonder why she doesn’t engage in the other types of behavior that “all mammals” do with their babies. Here are some of the other perfectly natural behaviors that mammals who eat their own placenta do.

1. They lick their newborns clean. With their tongues.
  2. They eat their young if their young are not perfectly healthy.
  3. They eat their own poop.

Pretty sure Jones won’t be doing any of the above so why the need to do this?

Here’s the thing: everyone in Los Angeles is obsessed with going green. There is a very strange competition that exists among the natives. The competition is called, “Who can be the most environmentally conscious, eat the most organic food, be as free as environmental toxins as possible, and engage in the most alternative health practices?” The war is on and Jones is trying to win.

She’s saying, “I’m so green, I eat my own placenta.” She wants the trophy. It’s certainly looking like she’s gonna take first place.

This entry was posted in motherhood and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to I’m so Green I Eat My Own Placenta

1. Kat says:

That’s great. I’m telling you reading your blog first thing in the AM makes me smile.

I will be honest and find it gross she does this. If you already have nourishment and are healthy there is no reason to do so. In some cultures, yes they do but they aren’t has “healthy” as we are here or in some other countries.

I’m guilty of being “Green” I have been since sixth grade when I had Styrofoam banned from the Burbank School District but that’s me. I try and do things to be good to the earth and more recently due to a strict home living budget to save money.

Again, thanks for your honesty, it does prove to provide some interesting topics. I’d love to hear your view on Alicia Silverstone and her baby feeding habits. I don’t think I could ever do that but I hear it’s more common then I think.

Have a great day!

Thanks, Kat. There’s nothing wrong with going green. I just get amused by the competitive nature it’s taken. And the fact that you’ve been making a difference since sixth grade means you probably aren’t just trying to compete, but you are actually trying to make a difference. Stay tuned for Alicia Silverstone:)

2. So after seeing this on Twitter yesterday I lost my appetite so completely that I LOST TWO POUNDS. Seriously. Keep those celebrity baby-feeding stories coming, because I’ve got 20 to go!

LOL, for real! You should check out the Alicia Silverstone feeding her baby out of her mouth video. That’s at least 5 more pounds down.

LOL!

I’ve been so busy traveling and such I haven’t been able to read my favorite blogs. This certainly brought a smile to my face.

You should have seen me trying to keep it together when a girlfriend told me she was having her placenta encapsulated so her hormones would be more stabilized after the birth and so she could avoid PPD. Ummmmm, yeah. You go ahead and do that. :shudder:

She did it and swears it works. Hey, more power to her, as long as *I’m* not the one doing it. Blech.

Green is good. Competitive green? Um, wow. Only in LA, huh?

Glad to see you back. Missed you:) Yep, only in LA, the alternate universe. Loved the pictures from your trip. Hope you guys are all rested up.

4. This one cracked me up. I live in a wacky college town and the nurse asked me when I was discharging from the hospital after having my son if I wanted to take my placenta home. W-H-A-T? Turns out some folks like to plant it in the garden. Uh, NO THANK YOU! Not my style. Nor would I eat it. :)

Get this- after Gus was circumcised the doctor asked us if we would like to keep his foreskin. Yep, I’m not kidding!

5. Pingback: Must We Read About Women Eating Their Own Placentas?

6. Pingback: You Are What You Eat | The Mommy Psychologist

7. Hrothgar says:

So doing something for a silly reason negates the validity of said thing entirely? Looks like awkward reasoning to me.

I don’t know who this January gal is and IDC. But, you don’t (and actually nodoby does) know why many mammals eat their placentas, so you shouldn’t be so definitive as to say it’s just for sneakiness’ sake. Could be for various reasons, however just the fact that even highly mobile animals practice placentophagia makes me suppose the reason is probably the valuable nutrients.
    Plus, don’t be so un-green as to dismiss everything other animals do that we don’t as useless (for us). Eating fæces has notorious benefits for certain illnesses (never heard of fæcal transplant?), for instance. And licking a newborn (with your tongue, yeah, obviously) does look like it could have some benefits on many levels for mother and child. As for eating dead offsprings, I’m not sure, but what I’m certain of is that somewhere on Earth, some people with different moral backgrounds are doing it, probably for a reason I guess.

See what I mean? Sure greenish hippie types are annoying, but you’re being too judgemental about some behaviour you don’t understand, and for wrong reasons. Which at first sight could pass as close-mindedness.

As for circumcision, which you mentioned in the comments, IDK the reason you did it so I’m not saying anything, but if not for medical emergency, could that be an(other) element suggesting you’re not much green-minded anyway yourself ? Whatever that means.

NB: all the above is not a rant, just an opposite point of view. I’ve yet to read any other article on your website.