Zimmermann 2012

Zimmerman 2012! Zimmerman 2012!

Forget the drama surrounding KONY 2012 and the horrors inflicted on children in other countries. Let’s focus on the invisible children living in this country. The racism that occurs on a daily basis here.

There are so many heated politics surrounding this issue and you bet I have some pretty strong opinions myself. But, politics aren’t really the primary focus of this blog so I’ll have to post those thoughts elsewhere. However, I have to say that I am so proud of the way our children have responded to this issue and taken action.

Students are rallying everywhere to let their voices be heard. They want justice for Trayvon Martin. Rightfully so. They’ve organized protests around the country demanding the arrest of George Zimmermann.

They have resources at their disposal which we never had.  A few weeks ago, they witnessed KONY 2012 go viral in a matter of hours and now have evidence that their voices can be far reaching given the influence of social media. Students everywhere are using Facebook and Twitter to join forces and rally together for this cause. And it’s working!

Students are also sending empty bags of Skittles to law enforcement officials as well as the State Attorney’s office urging them to take notice. Not just take notice, but arrest Zimmermann for the murder of Trayvon Martin.

I can’t help but think what a radical influence this may have on many of the teenager’s development. It is my sincere hope that they will be able to see that there is a way to fight against the injustices in the world. Their actions and voices can and do make a difference. They are already seeing some success as the chief of police stepped down from office today.  How powerful would it be if our children were able to see that they can influence our world in a positive way? To know that they can be agents of change?

I’ve worked with so many children and teenagers who have at such a young age already developed an attitude of defeat.  They say in one way or another- “we can’t change it, so why bother?”

But today they are bothering. And today they are seeing that their actions can have an effect. They can make an impact.

This entry was posted in Life As I Know It and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Zimmermann 2012

1. Kat says:

My K can get really into defending something she believes in. She will never set foot in Sea World and rarely visits the zoo. She believes all animals should be free and will let you know. My soon to be Vegan can be very opinionated. I told her stories of when I was her age and had styrofoam banned from Burbank Schools, let her know that if you believe in something you must let others know, make others educated, and not back down if someone doesn’t agree. I so heart the young lady she’s becoming.

I’m so for as well Zimmermann 2012. This man I do believe to be a racist (my opinion) should face the consequences of his actions. There are so many facts to show he DID NOT have to shoot this boy. I read the boy saved his father from a fire, got good grades, played sports, and was robbed of the rest of his life. So sad. I really believe that Florida (my opinion again) is the most racist state I’ve been to and I avoid flying into there anymore. I’ve been flying into Georgia because I couldn’t stand all the racism I saw when I did spend some time there.

I commend these kids taking a stand for something they believe in and it seems they are doing it peacefully which is something some adults need to see.

I love the way you parent. She is definitely following in her mother’s footsteps. They are pretty big shoes to fill:)

2. Julie says:

This is so wonderful to hear. Especially when most of the articles that I’ve read recently about teenagers and how they act have to do with all the bad stuff. The sexualization of young girls, slut shaming and rape culture. Most of what I read almost makes you think that all kids do these days is go around and insult others and then run to their mommies for protection because they know no one else is allowed to discipline them.

It’s so refreshing to finally read about kids sticking up for someone else and putting their foots down for something that they believe in. THIS is what the news on today’s teens in America should look like.

3. I love when children are empowered. And the empty Skittle bags is genius. I hope they and all of us are heard for Trayvon Martin.

Trayvon’s murder has me so upset I can’t even begin to express myself. I just keep thinking about his parents and all they must be going through. Then, I get so very angry about Zimmerman being free (how is that even possible?!?) that I feel an impotent rage.

I’m so heartened by the fact our young folks are taking a stand and making themselves heard over something so important that I get goosebumps thinking about it. I hope they continue to stand up for what is right and just and that justice is served.

I can’t even get started on the other emotions I have regarding this case. Makes me ill…

5. I love when children mobilize, when they feel passionate about something. It’s nice to find beauty, even if it’s spawned in tragedy.

6. Sean Mulligan says:

This is a good article but I think that the Kony 2012 campaign is astroturf attempting to justify further U.S. interventions in Africa. Kony is a brutal criminal but he only has a few hundred followers and hasn’t even been in Uganda in years while Ugandan president Museveni is just as bad as Kony but is a U.S. ally. http://www.blackstarnews.com/news/122/ARTICLE/8007/2012-03-08.html

Thanks for your comments, Sean. I have a feeling since the recent meltdown with Russell that the KONY 2012 campaign will probably disappear for awhile.